MAY: Learning for Life Field Days 2017
The Learning for Life (LFL) Field Day in 2017 is scheduled in three sessions. They fall on the last three Fridays in May at the Mays Family Scout Ranch at 3445 Fest Rd in South San Antonio, off Hwy 16.
The dates are May 12, May 19, and May 26, 2017, and are available free-of-charge to South San ISD 5th graders participating in the Learning for Life program of the Boy Scouts of America, Alamo Area Council.
Schools are scheduled by session and are required to register online this year to hold their spot. Last year for example, Athens, Benavides, Carrillo, and Frank Madla elementary schools all participated on the last Friday in May and registered 296 youth.
What Activities Are Offered?
This outdoor field trip gives the students exposure to nature at the May's 140 acre camp and includes six activity stations:
| ||1||Archery Range ||Archery|
| ||2||The Corral||Obstacle Course|
| ||3||Chuckwagon Pavilion||Banana Boats|
|4||Rodeo Courtyard||Nature Hike|
| ||5||Homestead 6||Leather Works|
What Teachers Should Know:
- Please be aware that your school will probably be required to split up due to a large participant count. We will split the count based on classrooms. One or two classrooms in your school will be put into a session. This adjustment will allow suitable time for students to participate in all the activities. Schools must arrive prepared to participate in their appropriate station. Students and chaperones must be prearranged.
What Parents Should Know:
On the day of the trip, teachers, staff members, volunteers, and Learning for Life staff will be present to accompany the class on the field trip, meeting in a group on the field.
Please make sure that your child is dressed for the trip; appropriately for the weather and activity. Here is a short list:
- Closed-toe shoes (that velcro close or tie) and socks
- Long pants for leg protection (even on hot days, to protect against thorns, etc.)
- Caps/hats and sunscreen to protect against the sun
Water will be provided for all students at the park and the school will provide, or communicate what your child needs to bring for lunch.
Can Parents Join the Field Day?
- Yes, parents are welcome to join but are not allowed to bring additional siblings.
- TO VOLUNTEER, CONTACT YOUR CHILD'S TEACHER: Some opportunities may include helping students stay with the group on the walk and helping Learning for Life staff run a more efficient program for the students.
Field Day Time Schedule and Other Location Items:
|9:15 - 9:50 am||Station 1 ||Station 2||Station 3||Station 4||Station 5||Station 6|
|9:55 - 10:30 am||Station 2||Station 3||Station 4||Station 5||Station 6||Station 1|
|10:35 - 11:10 am||Station 3||Station 4 ||Station 5||Station 6||Station 1||Station 2|
|11:15 - 11:45 am||Lunch ||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch||Lunch|
|11:50 - 12:25 pm||Station 4||Station 5||Station 6||Station 1||Station 2||Station 3|
|12:30 - 1:05 pm||Station 5||Station 6||Station 1||Station 2||Station 3||Station 4|
Each Session will start on time!
LUNCH: will be in one location:
- Chuckwagon Dining Hall Pavilion
FIRST AID SAFETY:
- A Medic is available inside the Medic / First Aid Office, located inside the Sports Court
BUS AND ALL OTHER PARKING:
- School Buses may park around the Corral. All other vehicles must park in the designated parking lot.
- Restrooms are located behind the welcome center.
- For students, parents, and school volunteers your event point-of-contact will be the teacher.
- For teachers, your event point-of-contact will be the Learning for Life Coordinator at your school (which may be the school's career or curriculum counselor or principal).