SAPD Chief McManus Supports Exploring and Boy Scout Card Sale
Alamo Area Council’s Discount Value Camp Card and Career Card Sale Supports Youth Adventure and Learning
by Angel Martinez for the Alamo Area BSA: 2/25/2017
In its fifth year, the Boy Scouts of America, Alamo Area Council launched their discount card fundraiser. Boy Scout Robert Ward of Troop 1021 and SAPD Police Explorers, sold the first Camp and Career Card of the season to SAPD Chief, William McManus, on Friday, February 24, 2017, at 2 p.m. in front of Public Safety HQ.
New for 2017 is the introduction of the CAREER Card that is branded in support of the Council’s coed career oriented program – Exploring.
“We are here to show support for the Boy Scouts of America and for the Exploring program that makes a difference in the lives of our youth and local community,” said San Antonio Police Chief, William McManus.
The Camp Card and Career Card, an award-winning fundraising program, is a risk-free way for Scout units and Exploring youth to earn their way to summer camp, career competitions, high adventure outings, and other activities. The Alamo Area Council Camp Cards, which first sold in 2013, will sell for only $5 to the public and will offer discounts at several area businesses. These discounts are at restaurants, entertainment venues, and service vendors for the customer to use and reuse throughout 2017. Each participating Scout unit and Exploring post will keep 50% of the sale for each Camp Card and Career Card sold.
“Like camping and outdoor adventure, selling a product like the Camp or Career Card prepares our youth to face the world with a heart of service, commitment, and leadership, to find success. Please support our youth by purchasing a Camp or Career Card for yourself, and another as a gift so that we can keep supporting all youth for many years to come,” says Michael de los Santos, Scout Executive for the Boy Scouts of America, Alamo Area Council; based in San Antonio, Texas.
Look for Scouts and Explorers selling Camp and Career Cards at local businesses and neighborhoods in San Antonio and the 12 surrounding counties served by the Council. Camp and Career Cards may also be purchased at either of the Council Offices to benefit under-served youth in the program. The sale will last until Saturday, May 6, 2017.
The Vendor Partner offers for 2017 include (valid until December 31, 2017 unless otherwise stated at participating locations):
- 7-Eleven – Small coffee, fountain drink or Slurpee for only 50 cents. (valid only until 9/30/17).
- Alamo Drafthouse – Get $10 off food and beverages; excludes alcohol (one-time use).
- Schlitterbahn Waterpark & Resort – Save $7 per person Monday thru Friday in May-June. Save $5 per person Saturday or Sunday, May-June and any day during July, August, and September.
- Flip’z Trampoline Park – Buy one hour of jump time, get one FREE.
- Express Lube – $10 off any regular price oil change.
- Dairy Queen – Buy One Blizzard, get one FREE.
- Pizza Hut – Buy one buffet and 2 drinks, get one buffet FREE.
- Las Palapas- 15% off dine-in purchase. Valid at 1604/Culebra and Potranco/151 locations only.
- Bush’s Chicken – One FREE gallon of iced tea with purchase of any family value meal or one Scout special for .99 cents (1 tender-roll & 20 oz. iced tea).
Exploring is a unique career exploration program for young men and women ages 10 – 20. With a focus on Law Enforcement, Fire & EMS Services, and Health Care, the Exploring program within the Alamo Area Council provides over 350 students with an opportunity to learn about a variety of career fields and network with professionals already working in those fields. Learn more at www.Exploring.org.
For more information on supporting local Boy Scouts and Explorers by purchasing an Alamo Area Council Camp or Career Card, contact Amber Sizer, at (210) 323-5096 or Campcards@AlamoAreaBSA.org or visit www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/CampCards.