By Angel Martinez for the Alamo Area BSA: October 30, 2018
The job of the District is a big one. It’s too big for just a few people to do by themselves. All districts are responsible for carrying out four standard functions:
- Membership – The membership function strives for growth through the organization of new Scouting units and growth through new members joining existing units.
- Finance – The finance function sees that the district provides its share of the funds to the total council operating budget.
- Program – The program function concentrates on helping Scouting units with camp promotion; special activities including community service; training adult volunteers; and youth advancement and recognition.
- Unit or Commissioner Service – The Unit Service function provides direct coaching and consultation by district volunteers for unit adults to help ensure the success of every Scouting unit.
The membership, finance, and program functions are carried out by members of the district committee. The unit service function is carried out by the district commissioner staff.
On January 2, 2019, the Alamo Area Council will be realigned into 6 new traditional Scouting Districts based on school district boundaries (plus three ‘meta-districts’ for specific programs). Click HERE to download PDF of Unit New District List. Note that the names listed below are temporary ‘placeholder’ names.
- Central – includes Edgewood, Fort Sam Houston, Harlandale, Lackland, San Antonio, and South San Antonio ISD.
- Comal/Guadalupe – includes Comal, Judson, Marion, Navarro, New Braunfels, Randolph Field, Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City, and Seguin ISD.
- Northeast ISD/AH – includes NEISD, Alamo Heights ISD
- Northside – only Northside ISD
- Northwest – includes Bandera, Boerne, Centerpoint, Comfort, D’hanis, Divide, Hondo, Hunt, Ingram, Kerrville, and Medina Valley ISD.
- Southeast – includes Charlotte, Cotulla, Devine, Dilley, East Central, Falls City, Floresville, Jourdanton, Karnes City, Kennedy, La Vernia, Lytle, McMullen, Natalia, Pearsall, Pleasanton, Poteet, Poth, Somerset, Southside, Southwest, and Stockdale ISD
- m1 – Scoutreach – meta-district for holding the urban ‘Scoutreach’ units
- m2 – Exploring – meta-district for holding the council’s Exploring Posts
- m3 – LDS – meta-district for holding the council’s LDS units through their departure at the end of 2019
- Amanda Guerra will report to Linda Dieguez as an Outdoor Adventure Executive.
- Misty Szyller will continue to report to Angel Martinez as an Exploring Executive.
- Ted Borcherding will provide leadership to the Southeast, Northwest, and Comal/Guadalupe Districts
- Pilar Colon-Martin will provide leadership to the Central and Northside District
- AJ Chaney will provide leadership to the NEISD / AH District
For updates and more detailed information on the new Alamo Area Council 6 District Plan, please visit www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/6Districts or email the Council Realignment team by email at 6Districts@AlamoAreaBSA.org.