The Boy Scouts of America, together with other youth organizations, and hundreds of community volunteers and their families, honor our fallen heroes by placing American Flags at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery ever year the Friday before Memorial Day.
The Alamo Area BSA, alongside the National Cemetery Administration (NCA), is committed to observing this Memorial Day in a manner that honors those who sacrificed for our Nation. Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the NCA has made the difficult decision to not host public events for Memorial Day. Therefore, the Alamo Area Council has moved Flags at Fort Sam to a virtual event for 2021.
Join us virtually via Facebook Live, Friday, May 28th at Sunset (8:28pm), as Leslie Vinka, the River District’s Scout Service Executive, speaks with Aubrey David, the Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery Director, as they pay tribute to those laid to rest, including Taps played at Sunset.
Over the Memorial weekend, Scouting families are encouraged to visit the gravesite of a family member or friend who served in the military, and place a flag in reverence of their service. Send us a picture of your visit to FlagsAtFortSam@AlamoAreaBSA.org, including the name of the fallen hero you wish to honor, and we’ll share it with the AAC Community. Together, we will remember the bravery of the ones gone, but not forgotten.
For more information, please email the Flags at Fort Sam committee at FlagsatFortSam@AlamoAreaBSA.org.
PROPER FLAG PLACEMENT
- All flags should be placed centered one (1) foot in front of the headstone.
- No flags should be placed on the backside of the headstone even if there is a name there.
- The flags on each row of headstones should be in a straight line and at the same height.
- Please DO NOT leave pennies on the headstones.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Should we wear our uniforms? All Scouts should be in full Scout Uniform. Military or other organization uniform & comfortable shoes for walking encouraged.
- What time should we arrive? National Cemeteries are open dawn to dusk. Private cemeteries may have different hours; please consult them for visiting hours. We recommend arriving early to avoid crowds.
- Can we leave a flag for someone we don’t know? Yes, you can.
- Where do we send our photos to be included in the Alamo Area Council’s Honor Posts? Please send them to FlagsAtFortSam@AlamoAreaBSA.org, or post them to the Alamo Area Council’s social media accounts. You can also tag the Boy Scouts of America, Alamo Area Council in your post.
- When will we return to the hands-on event at Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery? We have every intention to resuming the event when it is safe to do so, and we have enough time to properly coordinate it.