8 days and 7 nights at Philmont Scout Ranch during Spring Break
Fee: $105 for 2020
- Register: By individual
- Season: Spring
- Age: 16 or older
- Crew Size: Maximum 50
- Leadership: Leadership provided by Philmont
- Registration: Anytime
PhilBreak is Philmont’s alternative spring break program, sponsored by the Order of the Arrow and the Philmont Staff Association. Following the Ute Park fire of 2018, the Philmont Conservation Department began more aggressive timber thinning projects in strategic areas of the Ranch. PhilBreak volunteers have the opportunity to assist Conservation Staff with these projects and leave a safer Philmont for the thousands of participants that the Ranch welcomes every summer. Participants will live in Base Camp during the work week, and all meals will be provided.
- Be at least 16 years old by the date the program begins.
- Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- If you are over the age of 18, your youth protection training must be current.
- Be in good physical condition, able to hike 3 or more miles with a 20-pound backpack and able to lift and handle materials up to 50 pounds. (Philmont height and weight guidelines will be strictly enforced.)
- Complete a BSA Annual Health and Medical Record.
2020 Session Dates
Session 1: February 29-March 7
Session 2: March 7-14
Session 3: March 14-21
Session 4: March 21-28
- Saturday: Volunteers arrive at Philmont and spend the night in Base Camp.
- Sunday-Thursday: Crews work on forestry projects, returning to Base Camp at the end of every day
- Friday: Participants have the opportunity to go on a hike in the backcountry
- Saturday: Volunteers travel home.