Are your Scouts at home? Here are some resources!
Find stay-at-home educational activities for any Scout rank, tips for continuing to work on advancements and kid-friendly content that connects Scouting with their daily lives. We add new content and resources to this hub regularly.
Questions or insights to share? The Council’s Scouting at Home committee can be reached at ScoutingAtHome@AlamoAreaBSA.org. National BSA has resources too:
- National BSA Statement on COVID-19,
- COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) AND National Scouting at Home page
Many resources below are links to the Scouting Mobile App for Individual Advancement tracking. This free app is available for both iPhone and Android devices. Search for “Scouting BSA” in the Apple App Store or Google Play and download,
Current Scouting at Home LIVE Events:
- Cub Scout Virtual Visit with San Antonio Zoo (Jul 18th, 2020, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM)
NEW! VIRTUAL MERIT BADGE EXTRAVAGANZA EXTENDED INDEFINITELY!
New classes will be posted on this page every Monday morning at 9:00 am CDT for registration.
*It is the Scouts responsibility to receive Scoutmaster approval prior to start of the merit badge, as stated in the Guide to Advancement.
All requirements will be managed through our new online system and Scouts will be able to see results through their mycouncil account. Approximately 1 week after the class is complete, they will download a PDF with every element of a blue card directly through their MyCouncil account. This being said, it is imperative that you create or login to your mycouncil account when you sign up for a class.
BSA ID numbers are required in the registration, we require these so they will print on the results. If you do not have your BSA ID number you can locate it on your Scoutbook account or by reaching out to your unit leadership.
*Links to classes will be received by the morning of each class. If you do not have it by 8:30 am the morning of the class, email firstname.lastname@example.org , include the Scout name and class you are attending in the email. If your email bounces back when we send the link out because it is entered incorrectly in the registration, you will not receive the link. It is imperative that you enter the correct email in the registration to ensure you receive the link. A best practice is to enter the Scout email and a parent email into the registration to ensure someone receives it. Please note, we will not be available outside of business hours to resend links, so please do not wait until 30 minutes or closer to your class to find out you are missing your link.
The Summer Merit Badge Extravaganza merit badge class offerings have a no refund/no transfer policy. If you need to cancel your registration, please email Adventure@alamoareabsa.org and we will delete your registration to allow another Scout to join.
Merit Badge Class Registration Will Update on This Page Each Monday Morning.
- Full – American Business Online (Jul 13th, 2020, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM)
- Full – Law MB (Jul 13th, 2020, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM)
- Full – Citizenship in the Community Online (Jul 13th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Full – Family Life MB (Jul 14th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Full – Citizenship in the World Online (Jul 15th, 2020, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM)
- Full – Citizenship in the Nation MB Online (Jul 15th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Full – Graphic Arts MB (Jul 16th, 2020, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM)
- Archery MB – Hybrid Class (Jul 16th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Shotgun Shooting MB – Hybrid Class (Jul 16th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Full – Horsemanship MB – Hybrid Class (Jul 20th, 2020, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM)
- Crime Prevention MB Online (Jul 20th, 2020, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM)
- Full – Safety MB (Jul 20th, 2020, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM)
- Full – Citizenship in the Community MB Online (Jul 21st, 2020, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM)
- Full – American Cultures MB (Jul 21st, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Archery MB – Hybrid Class (Jul 23rd, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Shotgun Shooting MB – Hybrid Class (Jul 23rd, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Full – American Heritage MB (Jul 27th, 2020, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM)
- Full – Scouting Heritage MB (Jul 28th, 2020, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM)
- Full – Collections MB (Jul 28th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Full – Citizenship in the Nation MB Online (Jul 29th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Archery MB – Hybrid Class (Jul 30th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Shotgun Shooting MB – Hybrid Class (Jul 30th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Dog Care MB Online (Aug 3rd, 2020, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM)
- Reading MB Online (Aug 17th, 2020, 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM)
Watch the Council’s live streaming broadcast site, including content like the Family Friday Scouting at Home Campout held the 4th Friday of every month. If you are a Scout family interested in hosting the next Family Friday Scouting at Home Campout, please email the Adventure team at Adventure@AlamoAreaBSA.org.
Join us every Wednesday from 2:00 – 2:15 pm for the Council’s Midweek Moment of Prayer. If you are a unit chaplain, institutional head, COR, or just would like to express your “Scout is Reverent” spirit during the Midweek Moment of Prayer, please email the Council’s prayer committee at Prayer@AlamoAreaBSA.org.
Latest Scouting at Home News
- Virtual Roundtable – July 2020
- Family Camp at AAC Properties – July Updates
- FAQ for Summer Merit Badge Extravaganza
- Alamo Area Council Response to Coronavirus COVID-19
- Virtual Roundtable – June 2020
Cub Scouts – Virtual Day Camp – EXPLORE THE WORLD!
Are you in Kindergarten through 5th grade beginning the fall of 2020 and looking for something exciting to do? Heard Day Camp was cancelled and really bummed out? Join us for our Virtual Day Camp and EXPLORE THE WORLD with friends and our experienced Day Camp Staff! Texas is hot, you can only play outside for so long before you need to come inside and cool off. So, cool off with us and travel the world. Registration is open now, click HERE to find out more!
- Conduct virtual Patrol Leaders Council meetings via teleconference or web video conferencing. Ensure to maintain two-deep leadership throughout the virtual meeting.
- Encourage Patrol Leaders to communicate digitally with their patrol members.
- Conduct online merit badge counselor meetings using web video conferencing tools such as Google Hangouts, Zoom, Skype, FreeConference or Facebook. Ensure to maintain two-deep leadership throughout the virtual meeting. Note completing a worksheet and emailing it does not constitute a “virtual discussion”, rather use interactive video or phone conversations.
- Plan and cook a meal for your family.
- Encourage Scouts to post online stories from history and how humanity was able to overcome such difficulties and give people hope.
- Use Kahoot to host an online quiz.
- Encourage Scouts to communicate with Scouts around the world. Learn about the World Organization of the Scouting Movement (WOSM). Introduce JOTA/JOTI.
- Coordinate a community-based support network. Work with your Chartered Organization to develop a plan. Offer your unit assistance in helping the needy.
- Post examples of how Scouts are helping the community on social media. Make sure to tag us in your post using #AlamoAreaBSA #GoodTurnSA
- Go for a walk, Read a book, Write letter, Do a craft, Call a friend/family member, Play a game, Visit a virtual historical site or museum, Work in the yard, Cook/Bake, Or Do a puzzle.
Hold Scoutmaster Conference using web video conferencing. Ensure to maintain two-deep leadership throughout the virtual meeting.
If needed, conduct Eagle Boards of Review via videoconferencing. Units can administer BORs up and including Life rank but should follow the guidance in The Guide to Advancement Section 220.127.116.11 Boards of Review Through Videoconferencing. District Advancement Chairs will provide directions on Eagle BORs. Ensure to maintain two-deep leadership throughout the virtual meeting.
Bryan on Scouting has a great article on “How to conduct a Board of Review through Videoconferencing.
Youth Protection Reminder
It’s critical that we all continue to keep youth protection top-of-mind whether our Scouting activities are taking place in person or through a digital platform. Of note, remember that BSA prohibits any one-on-one interaction between an adult leader and a Scout – in person, online, through a web conference, over the phone, via text, or in any other form.
The BSA’s Social Media Guidelines serve as a complement to our youth protection policies.