Proudly sponsored by:
- Conduct virtual Patrol Leaders Council meetings via teleconference or web video conferencing. Ensure to maintain two-deep leadership throughout the virtual meeting.
- Encourage Patrol Leaders to communicate digitally with their patrol members.
- Conduct online merit badge counselor meetings using web video conferencing tools such as Google Hangouts, Zoom, Skype, FreeConference or Facebook. Ensure to maintain two-deep leadership throughout the virtual meeting. Note completing a worksheet and emailing it does not constitute a “virtual discussion”, rather use interactive video or phone conversations.
- Plan and cook a meal for your family.
- Encourage Scouts to post online stories from history and how humanity was able to overcome such difficulties and give people hope.
- Use Kahoot to host an online quiz.
- Encourage Scouts to communicate with Scouts around the world. Learn about the World Organization of the Scouting Movement (WOSM). Introduce JOTA/JOTI.
- Coordinate a community-based support network. Work with your Chartered Organization to develop a plan. Offer your unit assistance in helping the needy.
- Post examples of how Scouts are helping the community on social media. Make sure to tag us in your post using #AlamoAreaBSA #GoodTurnSA
- Go for a walk, Read a book, Write letter, Do a craft, Call a friend/family member, Play a game, Visit a virtual historical site or museum, Work in the yard, Cook/Bake, Or Do a puzzle.
Hold Scoutmaster Conference using web video conferencing. Ensure to maintain two-deep leadership throughout the virtual meeting.
If needed, conduct Eagle Boards of Review via videoconferencing. Units can administer BORs up and including Life rank but should follow the guidance in The Guide to Advancement Section 188.8.131.52 Boards of Review Through Videoconferencing. District Advancement Chairs will provide directions on Eagle BORs. Ensure to maintain two-deep leadership throughout the virtual meeting.
Bryan on Scouting has a great article on “How to conduct a Board of Review through Videoconferencing.
Many resources below are links to the Scouting Mobile App for Individual Advancement tracking. This free app is available for both iPhone and Android devices. Search for “Scouting BSA” in the Apple App Store or Google Play and download,
Youth Protection Reminder
It’s critical that we all continue to keep youth protection top-of-mind whether our Scouting activities are taking place in person or through a digital platform. Of note, remember that BSA prohibits any one-on-one interaction between an adult leader and a Scout – in person, online, through a web conference, over the phone, via text, or in any other form.
The BSA’s Social Media Guidelines serve as a complement to our youth protection policies.