Boy Scouts of America, Alamo Area Council’s performance recognition program for units is named after Scouting’s founder, Robert Baden-Powell. BP’s spirit is alive and well in our local community. The heart of this Baden Powell recognition is to make better units. Ultimately, better units means better programs for our youth. Learn more below.
This page has been updated as of October 1, 2020 to reflect the new application process and standards. Please read the information entirely and then click on the link below to submit your unit’s application. PAPER FORMS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
2020 Recognition and BP Status Benefits
Baden Powell units will receive the following recognition and benefits:
- Adventure Guide magazine announcement
- Council website and newsletter shout out
- FREE Baden Powell unit recognition streamer
- Facility Rental Voucher for FREE Unit Weekend Campout in 2021 (SUBJECT TO COVID19 RESTRICTIONS) at an Alamo Area Council Property*
- 5% Discounted pricing to all Alamo Area Council camping events
What are the 10 Achievements to Becoming a 2020 Baden Powell Unit?
As a 2020 Baden Powell unit, we used the methods of Scouting as shown by
- Submitting the application for Journey to Excellence Award to the front desk by close of business (COB) Friday, December 4, 2020. www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/JTE
- In addition to having our Registered leaders current and completely trained in Youth Protection Training (YPT) and Leader Specific Training for the position they hold prior to submission of the re-charter paperwork, we had at least one leader complete AND their training record online reflects the following:
- Take Safety Afloat (Online)
- Take Safe Swim Defense (Online)
- Read and be knowledgeable about the Guide to Safe Scouting (Online)
- We submitted our completed charter, with all signatures and no errors, to the front desk by close of business Monday, November 30th, 2020 www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/Recharter
- We ACTIVELY offered both Spring and Fall recruitment opportunities to join our unit including online membership application through the www.BeAScout.org website. This could be a virtual or online recruitment. Learn more at www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/OnlineRegistration
- We conducted an Annual Adventure Planning Conference (AAPC) to plan our unit activities and budget.
- We ACTIVELY participated in CampCard AND/OR Trail’s End Popcorn Sales to secure the financial resources to deliver a quality program. www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/CampCards or www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/Popcorn
- We educated every family in our unit and offered them the opportunity to participate in the Give the Adventure (GTA) campaign (formerly Friends of Scouting). We held a GTA Unit presentation/Family Call Down/Sent a Family Email by May 31st, 2020. www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/GTA
- Our unit developed and implemented a virtual program during COVID restrictions (ongoing through the fall).
- We participated in at least ONE service project this year, like Scouting for Food, and recorded it online at Good Turn for America
- We tracked our youth advancement using the free official BSA Advancement tracking platform called Scoutbook that has been SYNCHED to the online Internet Advancement program. www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/Scoutbook
SUBMISSION FOR 2020 IS ONLINE ONLY, CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR 2020 BADEN POWELL UNIT APPLICATION. – all units will be reviewed after December 4th and notifications will be sent out by December 11, 2020 by email to the leader submitting the application.
*FREE Rental for unit weekend camping coordinated through the Outdoor Adventures Team based on facility availability at Bear Creek Scout Reservation, McGimsey Scout Park, and Mays Family Scout Ranch. Email Rentals@AlamoAreaBSA.org or visit www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/BadenPowell for more information. Includes campsite rental only.