Baden Powell Unit Recognition – 2021
Boy Scouts of America, Alamo Area Council’s performance recognition program for units is named after Scouting’s founder, Robert Baden-Powell. Baden-Powell’s spirit is alive and well in our local community. The heart of this Baden Powell recognition is to make better units. Ultimately, better units mean better programs for our youth. This recognition will continue to work to serve your unit!
As national continues to serve the local council, we want to make sure that we continue to recognize our units and the hard work they put in each year. The Journey to Excellence (JTE) has been a great resource to encourage excellence and continuous improvement in providing a quality program at all levels of the BSA. As a council, we have made the decision to discontinue our use of the JTE program. Your unit can continue using the JTE Scorecard to measure your unit quality, but it will be for unit utilization only and will not be submitted to the council.
Our team has brought the Journey to Excellence scorecard and the Baden Powell Unit Recognition 10 achievements together in one concise and clear scorecard called the Baden Powell Unit Excellence Award. It will focus on the three main areas which are Service, Adventure, and Fundraiser. You will go through each line item to discover which tier you are in to know the points to award. Add the points to see if you reached the 500 points needed to achieve the Baden Powell Award. Once it is completed, turn into the Scout Service Center or Outdoor Department. All submissions need to be turned in by or before January 31st to be eligible.
This is our first year pioneering this NEW Baden Powell Unit Excellence Award. We will continue to update as needed and will keep you informed. Keep on Scouting and having Great Adventures!
2020 Recognition and BP Status Benefits
Baden Powell units will receive the following recognition and benefits:
- Adventure Guide magazine announcement
- Council website and newsletter shout out
- FREE Baden Powell unit recognition streamer
- Facility Rental Voucher for FREE Unit Weekend Campout in 2022 (SUBJECT TO COVID19 RESTRICTIONS) at an Alamo Area Council Property*
- 5% Discounted pricing to all Alamo Area Council camping events
Submission for 2021 can be online or in-person, and you can email it to Adventure@alamoareabsa.org
*FREE Rental for unit weekend camping coordinated through the Outdoor Adventures Team based on facility availability at Bear Creek Scout Reservation, McGimsey Scout Park, and Mays Family Scout Ranch. Email Rentals@AlamoAreaBSA.org or visit www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/BadenPowell for more information. Includes campsite rental only.
Resources to Aid Unit Success
As a 2021 Baden Powell unit, we use these methods of Scouting as shown by:
- SUBMITTING our completed charter, with all signatures and no errors, to the front desk by close of business Friday, December 17th, 2021 www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/Recharter
- ACTIVELY participating in service projects this year, like Scouting for Food or a conservation-oriented project, and recorded it online on Scoutbook.
- ACTIVELY offered both Spring and Fall recruitment opportunities to join our unit including online membership application through the www.BeAScout.org website or Scouts BSA perform a joint activity with a Pack. This could be virtual or online recruitment. Learn more at www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/OnlineRegistration
- ACTIVELY tracked our youth advancement using the free official BSA Advancement tracking platform called Scoutbook that has been SYNCHED to the online Internet Advancement program. www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/Scoutbook
- ACTIVELY offered outdoor activities to the Scouts of our Unit. www.alamoareabsa.org/about-us/our-camps/
- ACTIVELY participated in council-led day, family, or residential camps. www.alamoareabsa.org/camping/cubscoutprograms/ or www.alamoareabsa.org/camping/boy-scout-programs/
- ACTIVELY offered regular meetings for our Dens/Patrols and our unit through the year. www.scouting.org/programs/cub-scouts/ or
- ACTIVELY participated in our own fundraiser, Camp Cards, and/or Popcorn Sales to secure the financial resources to deliver a quality program. www.alamoareabsa.org/resources/forms/ or www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/CampCards or www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/Popcorn
- EDUCATING every family in our unit and offered them the opportunity to participate in the Give the Adventure (GTA) campaign (formerly Friends of Scouting). We held a GTA Unit presentation/Family Call Down/Sent a Family Email by May 31st, 2021. www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/GTA