Help Share the Stories of Scouting that Shape our local Community
The Boy Scouts of America, Alamo Area Council will recognize Scouting units within the council for
outstanding efforts in documented positive public relations within the local, regional, national, or global media. Awards will be presented at the Council-wide Roundtable usually held every August.
- Most Positive Public Relations (minimum 2 documented media exposures),
- Best Story
Unit PR portfolios:
A Unit’s PR portfolio is basically a collection of the positive stories the unit has been successful in placing within various media outlets either locally, regionally, or nationally. It should document the WHO, WHY, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, and HOW of every story. Placements may include community newspapers and church/neighborhood newsletters to recognized and well visited online blogs, social media or new media outlets if defined within a Unit’s PR portfolio and strategy.
Submitting Stories to Council
Unit Stories covered by the Alamo Area Council do not count as a media placement towards the marketing awards; however, units are highly encouraged to share their stories with Council. The Council is looking to support our content syndication program involving both Scouts and professionals as content creators. This means WE WANT YOUR SCOUT STORIES to publish within our local website and newsletters.
To have your story considered for publication in our newsletter, website, or on our social or new media platforms, please email your 200-750 word write-up with any photos or video clip to:
Marketing Award of Excellence Submission Guidelines:
A Unit’s PR portfolio can be submitted digitally (PR@AlamoAreaBSA.org) or in a physical copy at 2226 NW Military HWY, San Antonio, Texas 78213, but must include:
- original news link found online or the cut out paper clippings, and DVD or USB flash drives, if applicable.
- media coverage description on 1 page (150-700 words). Page description must include name of Scouts or Scouters in media coverage.
- Corresponding unit press release corresponding to story (news release samples at www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/pressroom)
- parent permission/talent release forms for media coverage, if applicable.
Units are encouraged to appoint a Unit Public Relations Coordinator (UPRC) to help with this project. With the support of the Alamo Area Council PR/Marketing Department, UPRC’s may issue unit press releases, editorials, and form contacts with local media.
Copies of all press releases and editorials should be sent for approval prior to publication. Submit to the Alamo Area Council PR Office at PR@AlamoAreaBSA.org.
For additional information, PR/Marketing resources, and sample press releases, please www.AlamoAreaBSA.org/Marketing. Also find a courtesy media list at
OR contact Marketing / Communications Director, Angel Martinez at Angel.Martinez@Scouting.org.
All approved entries may be submitted for consideration to the National Marketing Awards by the Alamo Area Council BSA.
PR Portfolio Tips
Make this a learning event for your Scouting youth, parents, and leaders! Here are a few specific tips when it comes to crafting your Unit PR portfolio:
- A good Unit PR portfolio should contain a variety of work to demonstrate writing, strategic thinking, and communication skills; therefore, include a variety from press releases, to web copy, social media campaigns, blogs and so on.
- Each piece in your portfolio should have a brief summary (media coverage description) with key information such as objective, audience and results.
- Use actual clippings and digital screen grabs as much as possible. For example, if you are showing a newspaper story, a clipping of the printed publication is best – original pieces help give context to how the piece was actually used.
- If you’re keen to showcase your strategic capabilities, include a PR plan you’ve developed, along with the Unit’s PR objectives.
Video Clip Tips
Watch the Video: