The Climbing program of the Alamo Area Council is dedicated to providing quality training and activities above and beyond the basic camping experiences of the Boy Scouts of America.
Why Climbing? Watch & Learn
We offer two Open Climb opportunities at the Climbing Tower at McGimsey Scout Park per year, one in the Spring and one in the Fall. Scouts can attend either a morning or afternoon session at the tower and try out climbing for a nominal fee. This is a great way for a scout who has never climbed to try this great sport. Pre-registration is required for this event. Equipment provided and instructors staff the Open Climb. Each Scout and/or Adult wanting to participate must bring a filled out a Hold Harmless & Short Medical form. Click the links below to download the forms. See you at Open Climb!
Training For Your Own Events
If your unit wants to climb, we can train you. We offer an adult Climbing Instructor course that includes both Tower training at McGimsey Scout Park and Real Rock training at Bear Creek Scout Camp. Individuals who satisfactorily demonstrate the skills, knowledge, and mindset necessary to be an instructor after completing the training will receive a Level I instructor card. Alamo Council offers the Climbing Instructor Course twice a year during the Fall and the Spring.
Contact the Climbing Team by email at Climbing@AlamoAreaBSA.org or, contact Committee Chair, Lynn Johnson for more information to participate in the Climbing Program or how to take your unit climbing.
Resources and Forms
For continued support of new instructors, old instructors, and units’ leadership we’ve created a Climbing Resources page for your reference. You’ll find links, files, and other information posted at the link below. Feel free to check it out.
Upcoming Climbing Events:
Individual units’ events are NOT posted here. This is the Council Calendar only. Please check with the Climbing Committee Chair Lynn Johnson and the individual facilities for availability. We want to support you and checking the schedule helps a great deal.
- Climbing Instructor Training – Bear Creek (Oct 15th, 7:00 PM – Oct 17th, 2021, 4:00 PM)
- Open Climb at McGimsey Scout Park (Nov 13th, 2021, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM)
- Climbing Instructor Training – Classroom (Mar 22nd, 2022, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Climbing Instructor Training – McGimsey Tower (Mar 26th, 8:00 AM – Mar 27th, 2022, 5:00 PM)
- Climbing Instructor Training – Bear Creek (Apr 8th, 7:00 PM – Apr 10th, 2022, 4:00 PM)
- Open Climb at McGimsey Scout Park (May 14th, 2022, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM)
- Climbing Instructor Training – Classroom – Registe (Sep 27th, 2022, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Climbing Instructor Training – McGimsey Tower (Oct 1st, 8:00 AM – Oct 2nd, 2022, 5:00 PM)
- Climbing Instructor Training – Bear Creek (Oct 21st, 7:00 PM – Oct 23rd, 2022, 4:00 PM)
- Open Climb at McGimsey Scout Park (Nov 12th, 2022, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM)