In Scouting, a jamboree is a large gathering of Scouts who rally at a national or international level. A Council may also host a regional gathering of Scouts, like a Council-wide campout, to prepare youth for the national or world Scout jamboree.
National Scout Jamboree 2021
Every four years, the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America organizes the ultimate Boy Scout experience, the National Jamboree! It is a National encampment that brings together Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and adult leaders from throughout the country, along with visiting Scouts from other parts of the world. It is the ultimate in Scouting experiences where you will be able to take part in mountain climbing, kayaking, rafting, shooting, SCUBA and many, many more activities, while meeting Scouts from around the world.
For general questions on Jamboree, please contact the Alamo Area Council Outdoor Adventure Director by email at Adventure@AlamoAreaBSA.org or by calling the office 210-341-8611.
Adult leader applications being accepted now: Click HERE for more information on Adult requirements, and click HERE to fill out and submit an application.
World Scout Jamboree
The World Scout Jamboree is the largest camping event organized by the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM), gathering as many as 50,000 Scouts and leaders from 169 National Scout Organizations. The 24th World Scout Jamboree (WSJ) is co-hosted by Scouts Canada, Association de Scouts de Mexico, and the Boy Scouts of America. The last time the United States hosted a WSJ was in 1967 in Idaho.
The WSJ is an educational event bringing together young men and young women from around the world to promote peace, mutual understanding, and to develop leadership skills. The Jamboree will feature the hallmarks of past World Jamboree programs, such as the Global Development Village, the World Scout Centre, a special sustainability initiative, and the socialization elements that allow participants to make lifelong friends from around the world.
Participation is open to eligible men and women who are registered members in the Boy Scouts of America. World Scout Jamboree units will be organized on a regional (not Council) basis. The theme for the 24th World Scout Jamboree is “Unlock a New World”. This reflects the new adventures, cultures and friendships that will be shared by Scouts from around the world. We hope you can join us! The United States Contingent is limited on the number of people that we can send to a World Scout Jamboree. While we will be able to send more to this Jamboree than ever before, we expect there to be tremendous interest and encourage folks to apply as soon as possible.
The Alamo Area Council has been given the opportunity to fill one (1) troop for the USA Contingent. This means that 36 Scouts from our council will have the opportunity to attend the World Jamboree. If we are unable to fill all 36 spots any remaining openings will be filled by Scouts from other councils. Registration is open now and managed through the National Website. All fees and coordination is being done by the USA Contingent.
Please click on this link so apply to attend the World Scout Jamboree
We have local advisers to the World Scout Jamboree that can help answer questions and give more information. Please reach out to the Jamboree team by email:
Council-wide Campout at Bear Creek Scout Reservation
On this ruggedly beautiful reservation of 1000 acres in the Texas Hill Country, the Alamo Area Council invites Scouts BSA youth, WEBELOS, Venturers, Sea Scouts, Explorers, and their families and adult volunteers to enjoy an adventure weekend every Spring. This local jamboree draws over 2,000 participants annually.
Bear Creek is located 20 miles west of Kerrville, Texas, which lies off Interstate 10. Take Highway 27 west of Kerrville six miles to Ingram. In Ingram, take Highway 39 six miles to Hunt. In Hunt, turn onto FM 1340 and go six miles to Bear Creek. For more information on Bear Creek, email BearCreek@AlamoAreaBSA.org
Here are the upcoming Jambo and High Adventure opportunities:
- 2020 High Adventure Meeting (Aug 28th, 2019, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Bear Creek Adventure (Sep 20th, 6:00 PM – Sep 22nd, 2019, 11:00 AM)
- 2020 High Adventure Meeting (Oct 23rd, 2019, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- 2020 High Adventure Meeting (Jan 29th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- 2020 High Adventure Meeting (Feb 26th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- 2020 High Adventure Meeting (Mar 25th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Powderhorn 2020 Weekend I (REGISTER HERE) (Mar 27th, 7:00 AM – Mar 29th, 2020, 6:00 PM)
- Powderhorn 2020 Weekend II (Apr 17th, 7:00 AM – Apr 19th, 2020, 6:00 PM)
- Bear Creek Adventure (Apr 24th, 6:00 PM – Apr 26th, 2020, 11:00 AM)
- 2020 High Adventure Meeting (May 27th, 2020, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
- Northern Tier Contingent (Jun 14th – Jun 25th, 2020)
- Summit Bechtel Contingent 2020 (Jun 14th – Jun 20th, 2020)
- Philmont 2020 (Jun 16th – Jun 28th, 2020)
- Sea Base Contingent 2020 (Jun 20th – Jun 26th, 2020)
- National Jamboree 2021 (Scouts BSA) (Jul 15th – Jul 29th, 2021)
- National Jamboree 2021 (Venture Scout) (Jul 15th – Jul 29th, 2021)