National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action packed program designed to provide youth members of the Boy Scouts of America with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in any other situations demanding leadership of self and leadership of others.
Built on the legacy of past JLT successes, the new NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skills and confidence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, events, games, and adventures, NYLT participants will work and play together as they put into action the best that Scouting has to offer.
NYLT models a month in the life of troop – three meetings (one each day for the first three days) leading up to a big outdoor experience (an overnight outpost camp). The course uses the patrol method and presents model Patrol Leaders’ Council meetings. Patrols are challenged early in the week to present to the troop at the end of the week their “Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.” While the challenge is designed to have patrols experience the four stages of team development, it will help patrols and individual Scouts internalize the leadership skills and concepts being presented to them along the way. Throughout the course, the staff will be modeling the concepts and skills that are the core content of the course. The patrols will be challenged with many activities and games, including using GPS receivers to participate in a Geocache wide game. The focus of each session is not only knowledge but giving the youth a “Toolbox of Skills” that equips them with the “how” of leadership.
Requirements to attend:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Must be a First Class Scout and have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation. (This must be emailed to the course director and staff advisor prior to attending the Participant Orientation for your course). Instructions on who to send this to is included in the registration receipt and the registration instructions for each course.
- All Participants must plan to attend Participant Orientation scheduled for their course. Dates are listed below and included in the registration receipt and the registration instructions for each course.
Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops or Crews is required prior to attending NYLT. This is a training offered internally by Troops. For the new updated Syllabus click your unit type to download: TROOPS CREWS
Submit Application to be on Winter, Spring or Summer 2020 NYLT Staff HERE.
For any adult who is interested in being considered to staff an NYLT Course, please fill out this FORM
Upcoming National Youth Leadership Training Opportunities
- Spring NYLT 2021 (Mar 7th, 12:00 PM - Mar 12th, 2021, 8:00 PM)
Upcoming Dates for NYLT Staff
- Summer NYLT 2021 Staff Interviews (Jan 9th, 2021, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM)
- Summer NYLT 2021 Staff Interviews (Jan 16th, 2021, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM)
- Summer 2021 NYLT Staff Orientation (Feb 6th, 2021, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM)
- Spring 2021 NYLT Staff Development Weekend 1 (Feb 26th, 6:00 PM - Feb 28th, 2021, 12:00 PM)
- Summer 2021 NYLT Staff Development Weekend 2 (Apr 9th, 5:00 PM - Apr 10th, 2021, 6:00 PM)
- Summer 2021 NYLT Staff Development Weekend 3 (Apr 30th, 5:00 PM - May 2nd, 2021, 12:00 PM)